Health and safety investigation launched at St Albans’ Verulam School
PUBLISHED: 18:29 21 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:06 24 February 2014
An investigation has been launched after a parent raised serious health and safety concerns at a boys’ secondary school in St Albans.
In a letter to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), seen by the Herts Advertiser, the parent has called for a thorough check of boilers throughout Verulam School after their son has been coming home complaining of headaches.
It comes after inspections were carried out last year to a boiler in the schools’ business studies building when a member of staff was found to have high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.
Headteacher Paul Ramsey said a team of specialists discovered the boiler in question did not pose a carbon monoxide risk, and maintained he was unaware of the recent complaint.
He commented: “We were told that a member of staff felt they were unwell and indeed they did have high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood and therefore we carried out two inspections, one in July and one in December, by a specialist monitoring company and they came back on December 19 with a report that said there was no concern whatsoever.
“They concluded the higher levels of carbon monoxide did not originate with us. They concluded the levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide were well within safe levels expected for a safe environment.”
A spokesperson for the HSE has confirmed they are making initial enquiries.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.