Harry Potter day transforms St Albans’ Loreto College into Hogwarts
THE MAGIC of Harry Potter came to St Albans last week when a school was transformed into Hogwarts.
Loreto College became the prestigious school of witchcraft and wizardry, which forms the primary setting for the Harry Potter books, last Friday.
Staff and students donned Potter costumes and the day was kicked off with a themed assembly which included music from the film, dry-ice special effects and an appearance from Hagrid.
At lunchtime, staff took part in a game of Quidditch – substituting lacrosse rackets for broomsticks. Students who had earlier been sorted into the houses of Hogwarts via a gigantic sorting hat cheered from the sidelines.
Year 7 student, Dina Yousif won the coveted prize in an afternoon draw – a signed copy of JK Rowling’s last Harry Potter novel.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser of the event and pastoral assistant Amanda King, said: “I am thrilled with the enthusiasm of our students and very grateful for the support received from staff, parents and the local community. The event was a spellbinding success and together with the proceeds from the summer fair, the event raised in the region of �10,000.”
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden