Harpenden secondary school closed after gas leak discovery
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Students at a Harpenden secondary school had an unexpected day and a half off after a gas leak was discovered.
Most day pupils at St George’s School in Sun Lane were sent home shortly after 1pm on Friday January 23 - but not until the school had managed to serve them a hot lunch.
Catering staff who come in early were far enough advanced in their lunch preparations when the gas was turned off that they were able to complete meals in the technology block.
Boarders, who make up around 10 per cent of young people at the 1,340-strong school, were sent home that evening and gas engineers worked all weekend on the leak.
But the cause of the problem was still resolved by Monday so head teacher Ray McGovern decided to keep the school shut to students for an additional day - although staff went in.
The repair was finally completed on Monday afternoon and both day and boarding students returned on Tuesday.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 8 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson