Harpenden school ‘outstanding’ for boarders
BOARDERS at a Harpenden school have the satisfaction of knowing that where they live in term time is outstanding.
After an intensive three-day inspection of boarding facilities at St George’s in Sun Lane before Easter, students and staff received an “outstanding” award from Ofsted.
The school, which offers over 130 boarding places from Years Seven to 13, fulfilled all the criteria to get its second outstanding award in four years.
Head Norman Hoare said the school knew it offered a very high standard of care in its two boarding houses and had excellent staff to look after pupils under the “great leadership” of Richard Gibbs but it was still marvellous to have it so emphatically confirmed by Ofsted.
He added: “The inspection is not easy and we have to be always on our toes meeting high expectations now enshrined in tough legislation.
You may also want to watch:
“You can tell the detail Inspectors go into as one of only two recommendations to come out is the need to count the pills in the medicine chest in the surgery and keep running totals of our stock!”
Boarders come to St George’s from all over the world with a third of the intake coming from the local area, defined as within one hour’s drive of the school.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 3 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 4 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 5 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 6 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 8 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 9 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 10 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted