Harpenden school hosts major careers day
- Credit: Archant
Over 65 organisations representing some of the country’s biggest companies took part in a careers day at a Harpenden school.
The Sir John Lawes Careers Day hosted such companies as Microsoft, John Lewis, Hilton, ITN, HSBC, Warner Bros, Thomson, Whitbread and Deloitte.
Employer talks were held in the morning followed by a careers exhibition in the sports hall during the afternoon.
Year 12 students from the two other Harpenden secondary schools as well as the Samuel Ryder Academy and Loreto College in St Albans went along to the event.
The objective was to educate students about the post A-level employment options that were available, ranging from school leaver and higher level apprenticeship programmes to graduate entry schemes.
You may also want to watch:
The increase in university fees has seen a change in emphasis with more companies every year introducing alternatives to their traditional graduate level recruitment streams.
Julie Honour-Jones, Sir John Lawes sixth form manager said: “We were delighted to provide our largest careers fair to date with so many high calibre companies attending and sharing their opportunities with our students and those from other secondary schools in Harpenden and St Albans.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
“Our students have gained far more knowledge on the choices available to them post A-level both in terms of the actual roles they would like to peruse and also regarding the various entry level options into those companies.”