Harpenden’s Roundwood Park raises funds to refurbish school hall
- Credit: Archant
IT has been hall or nothing at a Harpenden school where students, parents, alumni and friends have come together in a major fundraising effort.
And all the hard work which has gone into fundraising at Roundwood Park will come to fruition over the summer when the school hall is fully refurbished.
The work will include a new heating system, audio/visual updates, lighting, painting and floor reconditioning.
The Roundwood Park PTA has coordinated much of the fundraising which has amounted to a total of more than £40,000. To raise money the PTA has hosted a social whirl of events including a ball, dinner dance, quiz, comedy night, wine tasting and Take That and Abba tribute nights.
Parents have added to the fundraising by purchasing new chairs for the hall as a part of a house competition with the winning house being awarded a non-uniform day.
You may also want to watch:
Said PTA chair Julia Hanson: “It has been a hectic couple of years but we are delighted to see our fundraising reach the ambitious goal we set for the hall.”
The final fundraising event was the whole school sponsored walk last week (12) which has already raised in excess of £5,000 with money still coming in.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Sixth formers completed the walk in fancy dress and raised funds not just for the hall and their designated café but also for Spotlight on Africa, a charity that has captured the imagination of many students at the school.
Headteacher Alan Henshall commented: “The sponsored walk was once again a fantastic event. It was really pleasing to see so many students and staff participating and raising money.