Golf day raises cash for St Albans primary school
GOLFERS made sure they put all their irons in the fire to raise over �1,500 towards the cost of providing new playground equipment at a St Albans primary school.
The first-ever Mandaid Golf Day in aid of Mandeville School, organised by Greg Pedder, attracted nearly 50 golfers to the Batchwood course where the day began with bacon butties and coffee provided by the golf club.
Every golfer was given a Mandaid goodie bag, sponsored by St Michael’s Manor Hotel, and one lucky golfer found a voucher for a surprise meal at the hotel in their goodie bag.
Prizes were awarded for various competitions during the day including longest drives, nearest the pins and overall winner. Nearly �150 was received in “honesty fines” from golfers unfortunate enough to find bunkers and water or lose their balls.
But despite the opportunity to win a new Ford Focus, two holidays or a new set of clubs, nobody managed to achieve the requisite hole in one.
Family and friends including head of Mandeville Amanda Godfrey, and her deputy enjoyed a barbecue on the Batchwood Nightclub patio that evening which included a raffle with over 30 prizes donated from supporters near and far.
Mandaid was set up by parents, staff and governors after the school was left without a lot of the additional features it was promised when work on a new extension started.
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 5 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 6 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 9 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus