EastEnders star is special guest at school’s charity fete
HUNDREDS of people soaked up the summer sunshine at a charity fete in St Albans.
Colney Heath JMI school raised a record-breaking �5,500 at the recent annual event, which attracted an 800-strong crowd of Colney Heath JMI pupils, their family members, friends and neighbours.
As well as a hog roast, barbecue, beer tent and go-cart track, visitors also enjoyed soaking local celebrities such as Colney Heath JMI head teacher Pete Rose in the stocks, and watching dance shows put on by students from London Colney’s Excel Performing Arts.
EastEnder Thomas Law, who plays Peter Beale in the BBC soap, was on hand to officially open the fete and Michelle King, teaching assistant and dinner lady at Colney Heath JMI, said that he was the perfect guest: “The fete didn’t open until 2pm but a gaggle of young girls were waiting from midday to see Thomas! He was ever so polite and certainly attracted a lot of attention throughout the whole day.”
She added: “We’re only a little village, but we sure know how to throw a party! It’s the most we’ve raised since I can remember, and everyone had a great time. We sold out of ice creams so quickly because it was boiling hot, and people were very generous in their contributions.”
You may also want to watch:
The money raised on the day will go towards additional equipment for the school, and there are also plans to purchase a video camcorder for every year group.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 3 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 9 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 10 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden