Cooking up a festive St Albans bake-off for volunteering
- Credit: Archant
Get your whisks at the ready as a Great British Bake Off-style event is coming to St Albans and Apprentice finalist Luisa Zissman is among the judging panel.
The Great Herts Xmas Bake Off has been organised by a group of six students from St Albans Girls School to raise money for The Volunteers Centre, which facilitates and promotes volunteering in the district.
Adults can enter their festive baked goods into one of six categories, while children can compete in the Christmas-themed cupcakes and most creative Christmas cake groups.
First and second prizes will be awarded in each category, and the lucky overall winner will spend an afternoon baking with Luisa, owner of Dixies Cupcakery in St Albans.
Making the difficult decision alongside the St Albans businesswoman will be Got to Dance winners Chris and Wes and presenter of My Greek Kitchen, Tonia Buxton.
You may also want to watch:
The Year 12 pupils, named Team Evolve, are hosting the event as part of the Dragons’ Apprentice Challenge, which encourages groups of youngsters to develop business ideas to raise money for charity.
Team member Charlotte Thompson, 16, said: “We are really pleased to have the celebrities on board because we want to make our event unique and I think it gives us an edge.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 10 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
“We have put so much effort into it and we want it to be as successful as possible. It is going to be a fun family day out for everyone.”
The competition takes place between 11.30am and 4pm on Sunday, December 1, at Marlborough School in Watling Street, and cakes should be brought in between 10.15am and 11.30am.
During the day there will also be a pop-up tea room, stalls, face painting and biscuit decorating. For more information visit www.teamevolve.org.uk or call 01923 676793.