Asbestos cleared from music school in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Asbestos is being stripped from a secondary school building where students are being taught music.
A notice was recently sent to parents of pupils attending St Albans Music School, which earlier this year had to relocate to Townsend School from its former base at Garden Fields JMI, to make way for the latter’s expansion.
Apologising for the delayed start to lessons, it said that the music school would not open until next Monday, September 21, as builders carrying out refurbishment work had discovered more asbestos than expected.
The letter added: “There has been a lot to do in a very short space of time, and we thank you for your patience.”
In a further statement, a spokesman told the Herts Advertiser that parts of Townsend School were currently being refurbished, including areas used by the relocated music school.
He said that an initial survey identified the presence of asbestos mainly in floor tiles, the plant and electrical intake rooms and a ceiling panel.
He added: “There were some additional asbestos investigations to areas of the ceilings due to a change during the project and these additional investigations have resulted in delays. The project is due to be completed later this month.
- 1 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 2 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 4 Police ‘concerned’ as 25-year-old goes missing from Stevenage
- 5 Medals, fast times and great performances for St Albans swimmers at championships
- 6 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 9 David Carrick appears at Westminster Magistrates' charged with three rapes
- 10 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
“Any asbestos found would be removed in accordance with asbestos regulations and posed no health threat prior to the works.”