A-Level Results 2014: Photo gallery of Harpenden and St Albans schools
- Credit: Archant
There has been plenty of celebration throughout the St Albans district today as the anxious wait for A and AS Levels was finally over and schools celebrated, in many cases, record results.
Cllr Chris Hayward, Herts county council’s cabinet member for education, said: “Whatever the outcome, there are plenty of further options in education, training or work and there are dedicated people on hand to give you all the advice you need.”
He said that while exam results day marked a new phase in a young person’s life, it could be an unsettling time for parents and carers.
For more advice and information for students on what to do now you have received your results visit Youth Connexions
You can search for jobs and courses on this site, and there is a Youth Connexions employment team that offers a free job matching service on 0800 389 3258.
According to a survey commissioned by Leeds Metropolitan University, figures show that A-Level grades have edged down this year.
You may also want to watch:
And more boys are achieving top grades than girls, with 8.5 per cent achieving A* compared with 7.9 per cent of girls.
The independent online survey was sent to 1,003 students.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
It found that 38 per cent of respondents were offered financial incentives for succeeding in their exams, with 11 per cent offered a laptop or a car, and 10 per cent a holiday.
Some students were apparently offered up to £2,000 for an A* and £1,500 for an A grade.