A hop, skip and a jump for fitness with Harpenden youngsters
- Credit: Archant
Skipping and jumping for charity recently brought smiles to the faces of children and staff of a new free school.
Harpenden Free School (HFS), currently located at St Luke’s School in Redbourn while its permanent school is under construction in the centre of the town, spent six weeks practising jumping and skipping techniques as well as learning about the importance of exercise and keeping their heart healthy.
They were taking part in the skipping challenge as part of the national Jump Rope For Heart initiative organised by the British Heart Foundation.
Over 150 pupils aged between four and nine, along with some of the St Luke’s children, put on their trainers to take part in the event. They had been working together on new jumping and skipping techniques as well as learning about the importance of exercise and keeping their heart healthy.
Marissa Davis, the new principal of Harpenden Free School, said, “Outdoor learning and physical exercise is an important part of our curriculum so preparing for the Jump Off has given our pupils yet another reason to be active, not to mention have lots of fun.
You may also want to watch:
“The idea is that the children can then use their new jumping and skipping skills and enthusiasm in the playground, the older children leading games for the younger ones.”
The Jump Off was just one of many events taking place at HFS a to celebrate Healthy Living week, one of which was the creation of 12 huge art boards soon to be mounted on the hoarding around the new school construction site in Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe