50th anniversary for Harpenden primary school
- Credit: Archant
A primary school celebrating its half century is on the hunt for their first-ever pupil to commemorate the occasion.
The Grove Junior School in Harpenden opened in 1964 (pictured below) and its first pupil on roll was Jennifer Read, who used to live in Leycroft Way.
To celebrate its 50th anniversary the school is organising various events but is keen to find Jennifer to mark the occasion.
Head teacher Maggie Clifford said: “I think it will be nice for the children and for her, it would be really exciting to track her down.
“We would so love to find out what she is doing or where she is now – she could be in Australia for all we know!”
You may also want to watch:
Reuniting and remembering the past is all part of the month-long celebrations of the school’s anniversary.
Ms Clifford added: “We will be adapting the curriculum around the 1960, including singing 60s songs in assembly.”
- 1 Hundreds of trees felled on Green Belt site 'to make way for travellers camp'
- 2 Injunction served on Redbourn site to prevent any development
- 3 PTA gifts a bear to more than 300 pupils to commemorate return to school
- 4 'Out of touch' government demands more houses in St Albans
- 5 Man assaulted in 'unprovoked attack in broad daylight' in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire village of Knebworth
- 8 What's happening with district's vaccine supplies? St Albans MP is seeking answers
- 9 Which areas of St Albans district have seen the most people vaccinated?
- 10 Man in his 40s dies after crash between bus and car
A Golden Gala will be held on June 14, which will see pupils and parents gather for the final celebrations, hopefully joined by Jennifer.
The anniversary has spurred on the school to take a look through its archives which has revealed old photos from when The Grove was half the size and in a Victorian building.
It was the school diary which prompted the search for the Jennifer who is mentioned as the first registered pupil. Anyone who knows where Jennifer might be can get in contact with the school via firstname.lastname@example.org