50th anniversary for Harpenden primary school
- Credit: Archant
A primary school celebrating its half century is on the hunt for their first-ever pupil to commemorate the occasion.
The Grove Junior School in Harpenden opened in 1964 (pictured below) and its first pupil on roll was Jennifer Read, who used to live in Leycroft Way.
To celebrate its 50th anniversary the school is organising various events but is keen to find Jennifer to mark the occasion.
Head teacher Maggie Clifford said: “I think it will be nice for the children and for her, it would be really exciting to track her down.
“We would so love to find out what she is doing or where she is now – she could be in Australia for all we know!”
You may also want to watch:
Reuniting and remembering the past is all part of the month-long celebrations of the school’s anniversary.
Ms Clifford added: “We will be adapting the curriculum around the 1960, including singing 60s songs in assembly.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
A Golden Gala will be held on June 14, which will see pupils and parents gather for the final celebrations, hopefully joined by Jennifer.
The anniversary has spurred on the school to take a look through its archives which has revealed old photos from when The Grove was half the size and in a Victorian building.
It was the school diary which prompted the search for the Jennifer who is mentioned as the first registered pupil. Anyone who knows where Jennifer might be can get in contact with the school via email@example.com