Drop in Hospital infections makes West Herts top Trust
A HUGE drop in a hospital-acquired infection in West Herts has made the local Trust the most improved in the country. New C-difficile infection figures for England just published by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) show that between April and June th
A HUGE drop in a hospital-acquired infection in West Herts has made the local Trust the most improved in the country.
New C-difficile infection figures for England just published by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) show that between April and June this year, West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust had the biggest percentage decrease in their infections compared to a year ago than any other acute hospital in the country.
The HPA figures show a reduction in West Herts - which takes in St Albans City, Hemel Hempstead and Watford Hospitals - of 64 per cent compared to 21 per cent nationally.
Trust chief executive Jan Filochowski said that while the HPA figures confirmed the enormous improvements the trust had made, more up-to-date figures showed an even greater improvement.
You may also want to watch:
"Our C.difficile infection rates show a staggering reduction in the last 12 months - 86 cases in August 2007 and only four in August 2008."
He put the improvement down to the introduction of a number of measures to combat infections including reinforcing hand hygiene, opening isolation wards, weekly hygiene audits and reducing the prescribing of certain antibiotics which reduced resistance to infections.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire