Driver's lucky escape as car goes under lorry
A WOMAN had a lucky escape when her car got wedged under an articulated lorry in an accident on Wednesday. It happened on the London Colney bypass at around 4.30pm on the northbound carriageway and the woman had to be cut free from the vehicle. The silver
A WOMAN had a lucky escape when her car got wedged under an articulated lorry in an accident on Wednesday.
It happened on the London Colney bypass at around 4.30pm on the northbound carriageway and the woman had to be cut free from the vehicle.
The silver Citroën Xsara was wedged underneath the back of the lorry and firefighters from St Albans cut the roof of the vehicle off to free the woman, who is believed to be aged about 50 and from Park Street.
Ambulance crews from St Albans and Watford worked alongside the fire crews to treat the casualty.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said: "The woman was well trapped underneath the rear of the lorry on our arrival. Paramedic were able to crawl into the vehicle and stabilise her while the fire service removed the roof and doors allowing us more space to assess her injuries."
He added: "She was then placed on a spinal board as a precautionary measure and conveyed to the QEII Hospital in Welwyn garden City with a chest injury."
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
The driver of the lorry was uninjured in the accident.
Police closed the road until just before 7pm.