Drink driver who crashed in St Albans police chase sentenced in Crown Court

Successful year for the Police Major Crime Unit

Successful year for the Police Major Crime Unit - Credit: Archant

A drink driver who led police on a late night chase through St Albans in which he went through red lights, hit kerbs and sped at over twice the legal limit before crashing has been banned from driving for three years.

Toby Bohn, 29, previously of Lemsford Road in St Albans and who now lives in Cornwall, was sentenced at the Crown Court today (Friday).

Prosecutor Simon Ash said that at 1.20am on November 3 police officers saw an Astra being driven slowly and erratically in Cottonmill Lane.

Mr Ash said: “On two occasions it veered to the offside kerb. A PNC (police national computer) check was carried out and it was found not to be insured.”

Bohn stopped the car, but when an officer got out to speak to him he drove off at speed, reaching 50 miles per hour in a 30 mile zone.

He went the wrong way around a roundabout and drove over speed humps at speed, twice going through red lights.

In London Road, Bohn drove at 80mph - twice the speed limit.

Most Read

At one stage a wrap of cocaine was thrown from the car window as Bohn, who had three passengers with him, tried to get away.

He also tried to swerve around a police van that was blocking the road, but lost control and crashed into another police car.

The police could smell alcohol and Bohn failed a roadside breath test. He was taken to Hatfield police station where he gave a breath reading of 57 micrograms - the legal limit being 35.

His home in Lemsford Road was searched and four wraps of cocaine were discovered, along with £220 cash.

Brazil-born Bohn appeared for sentencing having earlier pleaded guilty to supplying half a gram of cocaine, possessing five wraps of cocaine, dangerous driving, driving above the alcohol limit and having no insurance. He had a previous drink drive conviction from March 2007.

Andrew Kerry, defending, said that since his arrest Bohn had put things in order. He handed the judge references, including a letter from the defendant’s mother.

Mr Kerry said: “He has moved away to Cornwall and has sought private drug counselling. He has cleared himself of drugs.”

Recorder Thomas Corrie told Bohn: “It was a prolonged and alarming chase and a mercy no-one was injured. You were drunk and should not have been behind the wheel.”

However a suspended sentence was passed because of the efforts Bohn had made to rid himself of drugs.

He was given a total sentence of 12 months’ jail suspended for 18 months.

Bohn was banned from driving for three years and ordered to carry out an extended test before he can regain his licence.

He will be supervised by probation officers for 12 months and attend an alcohol treatment programme. Bohn must also abide by a three-month curfew between 7pm and 7am.