Driver jailed for killing a man at the wheel in Redbourn
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
A drink driver has been jailed after killing a man and seriously injuring his mother in a head-on collision in Redbourn.
TJ Quirke, 28, of Down Edge, Redbourn, was sentenced to five years and three months at St Albans Crown Court on Friday, November 27.
He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving above the alcohol limit and driving with no insurance.
He was also banned from driving for seven years and three months and will need to take an extended test to get his licence back.
The collision occurred just before 10pm on Sunday, May 12 2018 when the victim, 36-year-old Winston Chau, was driving his mother back from a family party.
You may also want to watch:
As they were traveling along the St Albans Road, their Honda Civic was hit head-on by a Mercedes being driven by Mr Quirke.
The man died at the scene and his mum, Mrs Chau, suffered serious injuries, from which she has still not fully recovered.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
PC Carl Callan, from the serious collision investigating unit said: “Our thoughts remain with the Chau family at what continues to be a very difficult time. Nothing will ever make up for the loss of their loved one, but I hope this sentence can at least bring them some small sense of closure.”