Driver jailed for killing a man at the wheel in Redbourn
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
A drink driver has been jailed after killing a man and seriously injuring his mother in a head-on collision in Redbourn.
TJ Quirke, 28, of Down Edge, Redbourn, was sentenced to five years and three months at St Albans Crown Court on Friday, November 27.
He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving above the alcohol limit and driving with no insurance.
He was also banned from driving for seven years and three months and will need to take an extended test to get his licence back.
The collision occurred just before 10pm on Sunday, May 12 2018 when the victim, 36-year-old Winston Chau, was driving his mother back from a family party.
You may also want to watch:
As they were traveling along the St Albans Road, their Honda Civic was hit head-on by a Mercedes being driven by Mr Quirke.
The man died at the scene and his mum, Mrs Chau, suffered serious injuries, from which she has still not fully recovered.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
PC Carl Callan, from the serious collision investigating unit said: “Our thoughts remain with the Chau family at what continues to be a very difficult time. Nothing will ever make up for the loss of their loved one, but I hope this sentence can at least bring them some small sense of closure.”