Donor recruitment day at St Albans leisure centre for ill employee
- Credit: Archant
A BONE marrow donor recruitment day is being held at a St Albans leisure centre next week to find a match for a critically ill employee.
Westminster Lodge in Holywell Hill has teamed up with Anthony Nolan, the UK blood cancer charity, to help save the life of Chris Spencer, an Everyone Active manager who has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia.
The 47-year-old’s family have been tested but none of them are matches, meaning his only hope is to find a member of the public willing to donate their bone marrow.
St Albans resident and regional sales manager for Everyone Active, Alison Ford, said: ‘We were saddened to hear the news of Chris’ illness and that he is in need of a donor - we are determined to do everything we can to help the Anthony Nolan Trust find a match for him.
“Chris has become a close friend to many of us in the seven years he has been working for Everyone Active and the whole team have pulled together to raise awareness of the need for more donors.
You may also want to watch:
“I urge everyone to spread the word and see if you might be able to do something incredible and save a life.”
Chris, who has been in remission from chronic lymphocytic leukaemia for the last four years, said: ‘People my age grew up with the inspirational story of Anthony Nolan, the little boy who needed to find a bone marrow donor.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
“But younger people who are the next generation of lifesavers missed this history and aren’t necessarily aware of the importance of bone marrow donation.
“It’s important that we raise awareness for every person who needs a bone marrow transplant, not just me’
The donor recruitment day is next Tuesday, July 8 between 4.30pm and 8pm. Those interested should be between the ages of 16-30, in good health and weigh more than eight stone.
To sign up visit www.anthonynolan.org