Donor recruitment day at St Albans leisure centre for ill employee
- Credit: Archant
A BONE marrow donor recruitment day is being held at a St Albans leisure centre next week to find a match for a critically ill employee.
Westminster Lodge in Holywell Hill has teamed up with Anthony Nolan, the UK blood cancer charity, to help save the life of Chris Spencer, an Everyone Active manager who has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia.
The 47-year-old’s family have been tested but none of them are matches, meaning his only hope is to find a member of the public willing to donate their bone marrow.
St Albans resident and regional sales manager for Everyone Active, Alison Ford, said: ‘We were saddened to hear the news of Chris’ illness and that he is in need of a donor - we are determined to do everything we can to help the Anthony Nolan Trust find a match for him.
“Chris has become a close friend to many of us in the seven years he has been working for Everyone Active and the whole team have pulled together to raise awareness of the need for more donors.
You may also want to watch:
“I urge everyone to spread the word and see if you might be able to do something incredible and save a life.”
Chris, who has been in remission from chronic lymphocytic leukaemia for the last four years, said: ‘People my age grew up with the inspirational story of Anthony Nolan, the little boy who needed to find a bone marrow donor.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
“But younger people who are the next generation of lifesavers missed this history and aren’t necessarily aware of the importance of bone marrow donation.
“It’s important that we raise awareness for every person who needs a bone marrow transplant, not just me’
The donor recruitment day is next Tuesday, July 8 between 4.30pm and 8pm. Those interested should be between the ages of 16-30, in good health and weigh more than eight stone.
To sign up visit www.anthonynolan.org