Dishwashers top cause of fires in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
With 27 fires blamed on faulty leads, equipment or appliances in homes across St Albans district over the past five years, residents are being urged to take precautions to protect their household.
Statistics from Herts county council’s Fire and Rescue Service show that the appliance most likely to cause a fire is the dishwasher, followed by washing machines and tumble dryers.
Between 2011 and 2016 there were 25 fires in this district as a result of a fault in equipment, or a faulty appliance.
In 2014/15 there were also two fires as a result of faulty leads to equipment or appliances.
The Fire and Rescue Service recommends people switch off appliances at the plug before going to bed – dishwashers, washing machines or other appliances should not be left running overnight or when the house is empty. People should also clean out fluff and filters to prolong the life of an appliance, and if your appliance is recalled, stop using it, rather than take a risk.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Richard Thake, the council’s cabinet member for community safety, urged people to have working smoke alarms on every level of their home.
He added: “Fires in the home can be devastating and they put property and lives in danger. The good news is you can reduce the risk of a home fire by following safety tips.”
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
- 10 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant