Dishwashers top cause of fires in St Albans

PUBLISHED: 17:00 04 October 2016

People should take precautions

People should take precautions

Archant

With 27 fires blamed on faulty leads, equipment or appliances in homes across St Albans district over the past five years, residents are being urged to take precautions to protect their household.

Statistics from Herts county council’s Fire and Rescue Service show that the appliance most likely to cause a fire is the dishwasher, followed by washing machines and tumble dryers.

Between 2011 and 2016 there were 25 fires in this district as a result of a fault in equipment, or a faulty appliance.

In 2014/15 there were also two fires as a result of faulty leads to equipment or appliances.

The Fire and Rescue Service recommends people switch off appliances at the plug before going to bed – dishwashers, washing machines or other appliances should not be left running overnight or when the house is empty. People should also clean out fluff and filters to prolong the life of an appliance, and if your appliance is recalled, stop using it, rather than take a risk.

Cllr Richard Thake, the council’s cabinet member for community safety, urged people to have working smoke alarms on every level of their home.

He added: “Fires in the home can be devastating and they put property and lives in danger. The good news is you can reduce the risk of a home fire by following safety tips.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser