Dishwashers are the top fire risk in Herts, new survey reveals
- Credit: Archant
Dishwashers burst into flame more often than most other gadgets in the home, according to figures on domestic appliances causing the majority of house fires in the county over the last five years.
The statistics, compiled by Herts county council, reveal that 57 dishwashers caught alight between 2010 and 2015, with washing machines causing 53 fires over the same period.
Tumble dryers were the third most likely to cause blazes, followed by wiring, cabling and plugs.
Extractor fans are at the bottom of the list, causing 10 fires over five years in the county since 2010.
The statistics were released in response to questions about the number of fires caused by such gadgets after St Albans man Jason Taylor’s dishwasher, a Hoover, caught fire, causing soot, smoke and fire damage last summer.
You may also want to watch:
In response to that blaze, and Jason’s efforts to thank the emergency service by embarking on a three-day fundraising cycle ride for the Fire Fighters Charity, Cllr Richard Thake, the council’s cabinet member for community safety, has congratulated the local dad for his “worthy endeavour”.
Wishing him well for the ride from London to Paris early next month Cllr Thake added: “His story highlights the dangers of domestic appliances, the most likely items to cause fires in the home.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 All aboard the Blue Tangerine Café for vital work experience
“These should never be switched on and left unattended. It is also important that they are registered with the manufacturer so you get any recall or safety notices.”