Disabled shopper threatens to sue St Albans supermarket
A FRUSTRATED disabled shopper is considering taking legal action over a St Albans supermarket s failure to police designated parking spaces. The shopper, who does not wish to be named, has been prompted to take action after Mobilise, the charity which pro
A FRUSTRATED disabled shopper is considering taking legal action over a St Albans supermarket's failure to police designated parking spaces.
The shopper, who does not wish to be named, has been prompted to take action after Mobilise, the charity which promotes mobility for disabled people, successfully took a supermarket to court in Wolverhampton and won �5,000 over its failure to prevent able-bodied motorists using disabled spaces.
The ruling went in Mobilise's favour because the judge said the supermarket was failing to provide disabled people with access to goods and services.
Mobilise also obtained a Section 21 Order which requires the supermarket to change its practices.
You may also want to watch:
The shopper, who has complained about similar problems in Morrison's car park in Hatfield Road, said the store was well aware of the situation but was not doing enough to prevent it happening.
He has taken to printing up his own leaflets which he puts under the wipers of cars parked in disabled spaces without badges. He has even been forced on occasions to park outside the store in Hatfield Road because all the disabled spaces have been taken.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
The shopper said this week: "I have threatened them with the same unless there is a vast improvement. I am certainly considering going down the same route."
Morrisons maintain that they have car park personnel who keep an eye on disabled parking spaces and ask able-bodied people to move if they park there.