Diamond celebration is an international affair for St Albans couple
- Credit: Archant
A diamond duo have celebrated 60 years of marital bliss surrounded by family who came from far and wide for the milestone event.
Ryland and Sue Clendon, of Lancaster Road, St Albans, had relatives flown in from Singapore, Australia and San Francisco to help them mark their 60th wedding anniversary after love blossomed when they met in London in the 1950s.
At the time Mrs Clendon, 82, was working as a nurse at University College Hospital while Mr Clendon, 83, was studying as a medical student.
He said: “I fell for her at first sight but it took her a little while to recognise my charm!”
A few years down the line, they tied the knot in Bath Abbey and shortly after relocated to St Albans where Mr Clendon was taken on as an engineering apprentice at Marconi.
Sue went on to work as a lecturer in child and family care at the former St Albans College of Further Education, and they have six children, 19 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Before the big occasion the couple had a large family party at St Saviour’s Church, and on the day dozens of friends stopped by their home to join in the festivities and enjoy a cup of tea and slice of cake.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 3 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 8 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 9 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 10 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
Mr Clendon added: “We never thought we would make it because we both had serious heart troubles, so we feel very pleased and happy that we have had such fun and had such a good life together.
“We have had a very good marriage and had wonderful children. It was a wonderful way to come together and celebrate it all.”