Diamond celebration is an international affair for St Albans couple
- Credit: Archant
A diamond duo have celebrated 60 years of marital bliss surrounded by family who came from far and wide for the milestone event.
Ryland and Sue Clendon, of Lancaster Road, St Albans, had relatives flown in from Singapore, Australia and San Francisco to help them mark their 60th wedding anniversary after love blossomed when they met in London in the 1950s.
At the time Mrs Clendon, 82, was working as a nurse at University College Hospital while Mr Clendon, 83, was studying as a medical student.
He said: “I fell for her at first sight but it took her a little while to recognise my charm!”
A few years down the line, they tied the knot in Bath Abbey and shortly after relocated to St Albans where Mr Clendon was taken on as an engineering apprentice at Marconi.
Sue went on to work as a lecturer in child and family care at the former St Albans College of Further Education, and they have six children, 19 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Before the big occasion the couple had a large family party at St Saviour’s Church, and on the day dozens of friends stopped by their home to join in the festivities and enjoy a cup of tea and slice of cake.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
Mr Clendon added: “We never thought we would make it because we both had serious heart troubles, so we feel very pleased and happy that we have had such fun and had such a good life together.
“We have had a very good marriage and had wonderful children. It was a wonderful way to come together and celebrate it all.”