Designing a new retail experience in St Albans city centre
- Credit: Archant
A local entrepreneur has switched from icing sugar to interior design for his latest business venture.
Oliver Zissman, who was a partner in Dixie’s Cupcakery and The Baker Shop with his ex-wife and The Apprentice finalist Luisa, is one of the driving forces behind That Design Store in Market Place.
The independent, contemporary interior design shop is a partnership with Anthony Matchett, formerly of Wave Studios.
This is the first venture in design for the founders after years of experience in both retail, audio and advertising.
They will be working with renowned brands including: Tom Dixon, designer of London’s new Mondrian Hotel, Buster & Punch, Design House Stockholm, and Aesop among others.
That Design Store promises a new retail experience for St Albans with champagne and drinks during its daily complimentary ‘happy hour’ – creating an environment where locals and visitors alike can come and relax with a drink after work, socialise and browse the collection of products on display.
Oliver said: “Having spent five years building St Albans-based business The Baker Shop into one of the largest cake decoration and baking supply e-commerce businesses globally, I wanted to revisit the more traditional bricks and mortar retail, whilst still bringing the e-commerce expertise that both myself and my partner Anthony have built over the past several years.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 8 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
“The home baking industry has grown significantly over the past five years and we took full advantage of being in the right place at the right time.
“The transition over to design has also come at the perfect time, with one of our main designers, Tom Dixon having a major increase in popularity, thanks to the recent opening of the Mondrian Hotel, which he fully interior designed.
“Having been open for three weeks, the response has been overwhelming and already feel like we are a staple in the great St Albans high street.”