Designing a new retail experience in St Albans city centre
- Credit: Archant
A local entrepreneur has switched from icing sugar to interior design for his latest business venture.
Oliver Zissman, who was a partner in Dixie’s Cupcakery and The Baker Shop with his ex-wife and The Apprentice finalist Luisa, is one of the driving forces behind That Design Store in Market Place.
The independent, contemporary interior design shop is a partnership with Anthony Matchett, formerly of Wave Studios.
This is the first venture in design for the founders after years of experience in both retail, audio and advertising.
They will be working with renowned brands including: Tom Dixon, designer of London’s new Mondrian Hotel, Buster & Punch, Design House Stockholm, and Aesop among others.
You may also want to watch:
That Design Store promises a new retail experience for St Albans with champagne and drinks during its daily complimentary ‘happy hour’ – creating an environment where locals and visitors alike can come and relax with a drink after work, socialise and browse the collection of products on display.
Oliver said: “Having spent five years building St Albans-based business The Baker Shop into one of the largest cake decoration and baking supply e-commerce businesses globally, I wanted to revisit the more traditional bricks and mortar retail, whilst still bringing the e-commerce expertise that both myself and my partner Anthony have built over the past several years.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
“The home baking industry has grown significantly over the past five years and we took full advantage of being in the right place at the right time.
“The transition over to design has also come at the perfect time, with one of our main designers, Tom Dixon having a major increase in popularity, thanks to the recent opening of the Mondrian Hotel, which he fully interior designed.
“Having been open for three weeks, the response has been overwhelming and already feel like we are a staple in the great St Albans high street.”