Derek Redmond proves to be a motivation man at St Albans college
A FORMER world-class athlete gave students from a St Albans college a day to remember and skills to utilise throughout their lives when he delivered a motivational masterclass in self-belief.
Derek Redmond, the former 400-metre sprint British record holder, held sessions for students from the Smallford and City campuses of Oaklands College about the importance of goal-setting in order to be successful.
Working alongside Eugene Matthias, magician and president of the Magic Club of Great Britain, Derek gave students practical advice as well as set up activities which demonstrated the importance of self-belief.
Using magic tricks and challenges, including a challenge to complete a Rubik’s Cube in timed conditions, the masterclass invited students and teachers to think about how they overcome obstacles in their lives and how much easier challenges can be with a positive approach.
Derek, who won gold medals in relay at the World Championships, European Championships and Commonwealth Games, told students that if they didn’t believe in themselves, it was hard to expect others to.
You may also want to watch:
The athlete is most famously known for his courageous limp across the finishing line during the 1992 Barcelona Olympics after he snapped his hamstring 250 metres from the line. The footage of Derek being helped over the finish line by his father has been used in many advertising campaigns and has become a symbol of the Olympic spirit and self-belief.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 Jon Clements back with his 'family' as Colney Heath announce four signings for first Southern League campaign