Decision time looms as St Albans district goes to the polls
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of local children will have a day off next Thursday when their schools are turned into polling stations.
Voters in the district are going to the polls on May 22 to vote for one-third of St Albans district council and for Eastern Region MPs for the European Parliament.
Two locals are contesting a seat as an Eastern Region Euro MP - Jill Mills of Sandridge Road, St Albans, who is standing for the Green Party, and Cllr Michael Green, of Millers Rise, St Albans, for the Lib Dems.
Both are also standing for the St Peter’s ward of the district council.
Twenty one seats are up for election on the district council – two of which are by-elections following the death of former Mayor Gordon Myland in St Stephen ward and the resignation of Nigel Huddleston in Wheathampstead.
You may also want to watch:
The Conservatives and Labour are contesting all 21 seats with the Lib Dems fielding 20 candidates, the Greens 16 and UKIP 14.
Three Independents are standing in Harpenden including former Tory district councillor John Chambers.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 9 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
Currently there is no overall control of the council but with 29 councillors, the Tories are the largest group with 19 Lib Dems, eight Labour, one Green and one Independent.
Polling stations will be open from 7am to 10pm and the district council election count will be held at the newly-opened Batchwood Sports Centre.