Date set for High Court challenge to gipsy site decision

PUBLISHED: 11:02 31 July 2008 | UPDATED: 13:28 06 May 2010

A DATE has been set for the High Court to decide if there are grounds to move a gipsy family from a village site. Colney Heath parish council decided to seek a Judicial Review earlier this year after a Government planning inspector allowed traveller Pe

A DATE has been set for the High Court to decide if there are grounds to move a gipsy family from a village site.

Colney Heath parish council decided to seek a Judicial Review earlier this year after a Government planning inspector allowed traveller Peter Robb and his extended family to put their caravans back on Nuckies Farm for five years.

The parish council was concerned that in light of Mr Robb's history - a seven-year battle with St Albans District Council which cost £60,000 and Mr Robb serving a prison sentence after defying a High Court order - allowing him back on the Green Belt site which is also in a high flood risk area would establish a precedent.

A High Court hearing into the action has now been scheduled for January 16 next year which will look at whether the parish council has grounds for the appeal decision to be quashed.

Parish and district councillor Chris Brazier said it was good news that a date had been fixed because it suggested that early investigations had revealed the council had a case. "I am feeling quite positive," he added.

He pointed out that it could be the first time a parish council had challenged the Secretary of State and said Colney Heath had received pledges of financial support from all the other councils in the district.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists