Damp leaves St Albans mother “at breaking point”
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans mother has complained of being at breaking point as an adundance of damp has left her family “living in a swimming pool”.
Michelle Meyrick, 34, lives in a two-bedroom flat on Wingate Way with her partner Kevin Hinde, 37, their six-year-old daughter Paige, mother Sandra Meyrick, 63, sister Clare Lovegrove, 31, and her eight-month-old child, Samuel Nunn.
Both Michelle and Paige suffer from asthma, and Samuel and Sandra have had chest infections.
Michelle said: “I don’t know what to do, I have mould growing up my walls and twice a day I have to mop up pools of water in every room.”
On one occasion Paige, who underwent heart surgery at childbirth and has annual check-ups, was woken by her mother to find mould on both her pillow and her school uniform.
You may also want to watch:
The damp has ruined the family’s sofa and, she believes, is even causing the pointing in the bricks to waste away.
Michelle, who has lived at the property for 33 years, said, “it’s been like this as long as I can remember.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Despite her health concerns, Michelle said they wanted to remain at the family home.
In order to do so, the family turned to St Albans district council for help, and was given mould treatment kits.
Council inspectors also fitted a vent in one of the bedrooms, which she said had made the flat freezing cold. Poorly-fitted windows are also letting in water.
Michelle was told the mould came about because the heating was not left on. However, she said she could not afford the expense.
Council inspectors are due to look at the property at the end of March.
Karen Dragovic, the council’s head of housing, said: “A Wingate House tenant recently reported mould at her flat and we arranged for a surveyor to inspect the property to see if any work is required.
“Three years ago, there was a similar concern and repairs were carried out to brickwork and the entrance door.”