Damp leaves St Albans mother “at breaking point”

PUBLISHED: 16:34 13 February 2017 | UPDATED: 16:48 13 February 2017

Evidence of damp at Wingate House in Michelle Meyrick's bedroom

Evidence of damp at Wingate House in Michelle Meyrick's bedroom

Archant

A St Albans mother has complained of being at breaking point as an adundance of damp has left her family “living in a swimming pool”.

Michelle Meyrick, 34, lives in a two-bedroom flat on Wingate Way with her partner Kevin Hinde, 37, their six-year-old daughter Paige, mother Sandra Meyrick, 63, sister Clare Lovegrove, 31, and her eight-month-old child, Samuel Nunn.

Both Michelle and Paige suffer from asthma, and Samuel and Sandra have had chest infections.

Michelle said: “I don’t know what to do, I have mould growing up my walls and twice a day I have to mop up pools of water in every room.”

On one occasion Paige, who underwent heart surgery at childbirth and has annual check-ups, was woken by her mother to find mould on both her pillow and her school uniform.

The damp has ruined the family’s sofa and, she believes, is even causing the pointing in the bricks to waste away.

Michelle, who has lived at the property for 33 years, said, “it’s been like this as long as I can remember.”

Despite her health concerns, Michelle said they wanted to remain at the family home.

In order to do so, the family turned to St Albans district council for help, and was given mould treatment kits.

Council inspectors also fitted a vent in one of the bedrooms, which she said had made the flat freezing cold. Poorly-fitted windows are also letting in water.

Michelle was told the mould came about because the heating was not left on. However, she said she could not afford the expense.

Council inspectors are due to look at the property at the end of March.

Karen Dragovic, the council’s head of housing, said: “A Wingate House tenant recently reported mould at her flat and we arranged for a surveyor to inspect the property to see if any work is required.

“Three years ago, there was a similar concern and repairs were carried out to brickwork and the entrance door.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser