Dame Kelly Holmes presents awards to St Albans students
OUTSTANDING students from a St Albans college were given Olympic approval last Monday when they were presented with awards for dedication to their apprenticeship by Dame Kelly Holmes.
Aaron Weatherley (pictured above) and Richard Sherwood from Oaklands College were both recognised for their achievements on the college’s apprentice scheme by the Aspiring, Achieving, Advancing Awards which were held at the House of Lords.
The event was hosted by Lord Hoyle and the boys won awards in the Outstanding Learning category which were presented to them by the Olympic gold medallist, Dame Kelly.
They beat off over 500 other learners to receive the awards and were praised for their hard-working attitude, application and high marks.
Aaron is an apprentice of XL Video, the largest provider of video projection equipment to the entertainment industry in the world. Richard works for St Luke’s School in Redbourn, a school for children with moderate learning difficulties.
You may also want to watch:
Principal Zoe Hancock said: “This sort of achievement is fantastic to celebrate and really shows the value and opportunity that apprenticeships offer young people. Success should be rewarded and I am pleased on behalf of both of our students who have bright futures ahead of them.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests