Dad shows he’s all heart with GOSH run
A FIGHTING fit father from St Albans will Race for the Kids to raise money for a charity close to his family’s heart.
Duncan Gibbons, 48, of Marshalswick Lane, will attempt the Royal Bank of Canada’s (RBC) 5km fun run in June in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), where his 15-year-old son Elliot has been a patient for years ever since his open heart surgery aged two and a half years.
Together Elliot, Duncan and the rest of the Gibbons family have raised nearly �20,000 for GOSH over the past nine years and in March Elliot, who has been taking daily injections since he was three to help with a growth condition, ran 10 laps around Arsenal FC’s stadium with his dad and his sister Amy as part of the Be a Gunner Be a Runner challenge to add to the pot.
But now it is time for his dad to shine and Duncan, who works for RBC, has already started training for the Race for the Kids challenge on June 6, when hundreds of GOSH fundraisers will gather in London’s Battersea Park to take part in the sponsored run together.
Duncan said that the family has always grabbed any opportunity to fundraise for GOSH. “We are all interested in the work that the Hospital does because it has been so central to Elliot’s life,” he said. “I ran the London Marathon for Great Ormond Street five years ago and I’ve even been to Peru with them. Bring on the next challenge!”
You may also want to watch:
Thousands of children are treated at GOSH every year and to help the RBC’s fundraising mission, register for Race for the Kids online at www.raceforthekids.co.uk
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival