Cyclists get in gear for annual St Albans charity ride
- Credit: Archant
Bike riders of all ages took to the highways and byways on Sunday for the annual Charity Cycle Ride organised by the Rotary Clubs of St Albans.
The sun shone on over 1,250 riders who took part in the annual event which is expected to raise over £30,000 for charities, Carers in Hertfordshire, the Special Olympics St Albans and St Albans and Hertsmere Womens’ refuge Rotary Playground.
The atmosphere around the course was matched by that at Oaklands College in Smallford where the ride began and finished and riders and their families could enjoy live music, barbecues and cakes.
Among those who took part were Richard Lord, who is totally blind but was able to take part on a tricycle with an able-bodied friend, and 10- year-old Emma Griffiths who cycled 20 miles with her Dad Kevin.
The organisers were out on Saturday and again from 4am on Sunday morning making sure the route was well signposted and the marshalls were in their correct places.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Dean, chairman of the organising committee, said: “We have had so many compliments from participants and other people on site, including the charities, regarding the organisation and the great day that we produced for the riders and especially for families.
“The weather did produce the icing on the cake. The ride is the culmination of a solid year’s work from his committee.”
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district
A ceremony will be held at Westminster Lodge on July 9 to announce who raised the greatest amount of sponsorship by June 30.