Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- Credit: PA
A woman in her 90s chased an unknown man from her property, after she awoke to find him standing in her bedroom.
On the morning of Saturday February 12, the pensioner challenged an intruder who claimed to be a window cleaner.
According to Herts police, the elderly woman then chased the individual out of her Bricket Wood property.
When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered a discarded bag containing a serrated knife and drugs paraphernalia.
Following an investigation by St Albans Local Crime Unit, 40-year-old Frank Donoghue was arrested on Wednesday (May 25).
He has now been charged in connection with the burglary and possession of heroin.
Donoghue has been remanded in custody and is set to appear before St Albans Crown Court on Monday June 27.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 5 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 8 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
A police spokesperson said: "A man has been charged in connection with a burglary which occurred in Bricket Wood, following an investigation by the St Albans Local Crime Unit.
"Frank Donoghue, aged 40, of no fixed address, was arrested on Wednesday (25 May) and was also charged with possession of Class A drugs (heroin)."