Crews attend traffic collision in Bricket Wood during recent strike
- Credit: Archant
Reserve crews covering for firefighters on strike over New Year’s Eve were called to Bricket Wood after a car crashed into a tree.
Two fire engines attended the incident on Smug Oak Lane at 9.16pm on Tuesday (31) with crews using hydraulic cutting equipment to free one trapped person, before helping paramedics give first aid.
It was one of four 999 calls made county-wide to crews standing-in for striking firefighters between 6.30pm and 12.30am.
There has been a long-running dispute with the Government over proposed pension changes.
Roy Wilsher, Chief Fire Officer, said: “Fortunately we had a relatively quiet night in Hertfordshire. The contingency plans that were put in place have stood up well. We would like to once again thank everyone who took extra care during the strike action.”
You may also want to watch:
Herts county council’s cabinet member for community safety Cllr Richard Thake said: “We are extremely disappointed that further walk-outs took place, and we continue to hope for a speedy resolution to this ongoing dispute.”
Another strike is planned for tomorrow (Friday) from 6.30-8.30am.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
• Firefighters from St Albans joined counterparts from Potters Bar and Borehamwood to attend a multi-vehicle collision on the M25, between junctions 22 and 23, at about 3pm yesterday (Wednesday). Crews had to remove the roof from one vehicle to free its occupants, and administered first aid to an elderly couple.