Crack team of chefs help dinner raise £5,000 for St Albans charity
- Credit: Archant
A charity dinner put together by a crack team of local chefs has raised £10,483 for a young people’s charity in St Albans.
Lussmanns on Waxhouse Gate hosted 76 guests at the event to counselling service Youth Talk, including Lady Verulam, a patron of the charity, Trevor Fromant, its chief executive, and Maggie Turner OBE, a trustee.
The guests were treated to a first course of pressed pork shoulder and apple by Oxscale’s Richard Cramer, with a mackeral fish course by Lussmanns’ Nick McGeown.
The main was a red wine braised ox cheek with cauliflower and beef dripping, by Drew Knight from Dylan’s at the King’s Arms, followed up by a rhubarb and custard arctic roll by Phil Thompson of Thompson St Albans.
Ticket sales and a raffle held on the night raised £5,241, and a donation from Luke Johnson, a shareholder of Lussmanns, nearly doubled that amount, and helped break the £10,000 barrier.
You may also want to watch:
The cheque for the full amount was presented to Mr Fromant and Lady Verulam by Lussmans owner Andrei Lussmann.
Mr Fromant said: “The amount raised for Youth Talk was incredible. It will make a significant difference to the number of young people that we can work with this year.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Mr Lussmann said: “Every hour of labour and every ingredient was donated for free to raise as much money as possible to support the excellent work of Youth Talk.
“Huge thanks to all the guest chefs and Lussmanns staff that volunteered and to everyone who joined us.”
More information about Youth Talk and its services can be found at www.youthtalk.org.uk