CQC map into St Albans’ care homes shows that a fifth ‘require improvement’
- Credit: Archant
One fifth of care homes across the disrict ‘requires improvement’, according to a map of the country’s most recent CQC reports.
In St Albans, four of the district’s 20 care homes did not meet the required standards despite being among the most expensive in the country, while two in 10 of the care homes in Harpenden also fell short.
The care homes Rosebery House, Willow Court, Fosse House, Leyland House and Stuart House were all rated as ‘requiring improvement’ - meaning that although the delivery of care may be effective in some cases, it is inconsistent and people’s health, safety and wellbeing may sometimes be at risk.
The map also showed that the St Albans branch of SureCare, on Alexander Road, London Colney, was rated as ‘inadequate’ in each of the five categories for which it is marked (safe, effective, caring, responsive, well-led).
An inspection of the site in June concluded, among other things, that people’s medicine was mismanaged, that it was understaffed and that guests’ privacy and dignity was not prioritised.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Walford, CEO and founder of TrustedCare, which developed the CQC map, said: “The data shows there isn’t a strong correlation between areas of affluence and local care quality as one might expect, despite a strong link to price of care.
“The CQC inspections provide only a snapshot of the service at a moment in time, therefore we appeal to those who are using or have used a care service, or their loved ones, to visit our website and share their experiences.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Chris Day, the CQC director of engagement, said: “It’s important that people have access to information that helps them to choose the right care for them or for someone they love. CQC’s ratings of care services and our inspection reports should play a vital role in helping people to make that choice.”
To see the map and read the details of the CQC reports published for care homes and nursing homes in the district, visit trustedcare.co.uk/care-map