Couple counselling service expects busy festive aftermath
A CHARITY dedicated to helping couples with their relationship difficulties is gearing up for an extra busy festive season. Post-Christmas is traditionally a hectic time of year for Relate, which celebrated its 70th anniversary earlier this year. But the
A CHARITY dedicated to helping couples with their relationship difficulties is gearing up for an extra busy festive season.
Post-Christmas is traditionally a hectic time of year for Relate, which celebrated its 70th anniversary earlier this year.
But the charity is expecting more calls this winter amid concerns that the credit crunch is putting extra pressure on people's relationships.
Relate Central Herts, which is based in St Albans, has seen a significant increase in inquiries over the last three months.
Its director believes that money is playing a greater part than usual in the issues that are driving couples apart.
One of them, Sue Andrew, said: "We know that men in particular find it very difficult to talk to even their nearest and dearest about their financial problems.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
"We have seen from the last recession and the many cases of credit-card debts getting out of control that relationships are likely to be tested to their limits in such circumstances.
"Knowing how much an average family spends on Christmas suggests that we are storing up trouble for the New Year."
She added: "At Relate we can help couples to face their situation together - it may be only a few sessions with a counsellor but it's a step that could help the whole family to face the reality of their financial situation and get through the tough times together."
Relate Central Herts covers St Albans, Harpenden, Welwyn Hatfield, Broxbourne, Hoddesdon and also parts of Hertsmere.
To book an appointment with a relationship counsellor, call 01727 858126 or you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org