Countdown begins to St Albans Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
THE countdown has begun for this year’s half marathon in St Albans and prospective entrants are being invited to register online.
Supported by the Herts Advertiser and taking place on Sunday, June 9, the popular race is boasting a new route which promises to be slightly quicker than previous years.
Also featuring on the day is the wheelchair half marathon race which now has its own start time, as well as the 1.5-mile children’s fun run and primary school challenge.
The walking marathon is also available for people after a slower-paced 13.1 miles, and the secondary school challenge has been introduced for the first time for 13-16 year-olds.
A larger runners’ village is expected to be set up, with a physiotherapy marquee and entertainment amongst other amenities and all competitors will receive a goody bag.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers are hoping to beat the record number of people who took part last year, as well as the previously raised amount of £26,700.
The main beneficiary for this year is the Hertfordshire Society for the Blind, with Perfect Balance Clinic sponsoring and providing post-race treatments in the runners village.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Coursers Road, London Colney: Trailer flips over
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Race director Mark Caldwell said: “We were really pleased with the 2012 event and I am excited to see how with its new image [the marathon] will continue to grow in stature.”
An early-bird offer is available for those who sign up for the marathon before midnight on January 31 at www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk
Alternatively, entries can be made by making an appointment with the half marathon team before Friday, May 3.