Countdown begins to St Albans Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
THE countdown has begun for this year’s half marathon in St Albans and prospective entrants are being invited to register online.
Supported by the Herts Advertiser and taking place on Sunday, June 9, the popular race is boasting a new route which promises to be slightly quicker than previous years.
Also featuring on the day is the wheelchair half marathon race which now has its own start time, as well as the 1.5-mile children’s fun run and primary school challenge.
The walking marathon is also available for people after a slower-paced 13.1 miles, and the secondary school challenge has been introduced for the first time for 13-16 year-olds.
A larger runners’ village is expected to be set up, with a physiotherapy marquee and entertainment amongst other amenities and all competitors will receive a goody bag.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers are hoping to beat the record number of people who took part last year, as well as the previously raised amount of £26,700.
The main beneficiary for this year is the Hertfordshire Society for the Blind, with Perfect Balance Clinic sponsoring and providing post-race treatments in the runners village.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Race director Mark Caldwell said: “We were really pleased with the 2012 event and I am excited to see how with its new image [the marathon] will continue to grow in stature.”
An early-bird offer is available for those who sign up for the marathon before midnight on January 31 at www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk
Alternatively, entries can be made by making an appointment with the half marathon team before Friday, May 3.