Countdown begins to St Albans Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
THE countdown has begun for this year’s half marathon in St Albans and prospective entrants are being invited to register online.
Supported by the Herts Advertiser and taking place on Sunday, June 9, the popular race is boasting a new route which promises to be slightly quicker than previous years.
Also featuring on the day is the wheelchair half marathon race which now has its own start time, as well as the 1.5-mile children’s fun run and primary school challenge.
The walking marathon is also available for people after a slower-paced 13.1 miles, and the secondary school challenge has been introduced for the first time for 13-16 year-olds.
A larger runners’ village is expected to be set up, with a physiotherapy marquee and entertainment amongst other amenities and all competitors will receive a goody bag.
Organisers are hoping to beat the record number of people who took part last year, as well as the previously raised amount of £26,700.
The main beneficiary for this year is the Hertfordshire Society for the Blind, with Perfect Balance Clinic sponsoring and providing post-race treatments in the runners village.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
Race director Mark Caldwell said: “We were really pleased with the 2012 event and I am excited to see how with its new image [the marathon] will continue to grow in stature.”
An early-bird offer is available for those who sign up for the marathon before midnight on January 31 at www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk
Alternatively, entries can be made by making an appointment with the half marathon team before Friday, May 3.