St Albans council to consider free short-stay parking in Market Place
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Short-stay parking in Market Place could become free following a review from St Albans district council.
Currently motorists have to pay 70p to park for up to 30 minutes in one of the 20 parking spaces on Market Place, but on Wednesday, February 6 members of the council’s car parking working party are to consider whether the fee should be waived.
It is believed that the move could support local businesses, which include more than 40 shops in close proximity.
At the meeting, the working party could make a recommendation on future charging to Cllr Salih Gaygusuz, the portfolio holder for business and community, who will then determine whether to take it forward.
Although short-stay parking could become free, there is no suggestion that the current £1.30 charge for parking for up to one hour at Market Place is removed.
You may also want to watch:
The parking charges were introduced at Market Place in May 2017. According to the report to the working party, the fee for parking for up to 30 minutes at Market Place generated £2,493.80 in 2017/2018.
So far in 2018/2019 the fee has generated £2,668.40.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 3 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
Meanwhile the higher fee for parking for up to an hour at Market Place has raised £9,506.90 in 2017/18, and £11,332.10 so far in 2018/19.