Contractors appointed for St Albans’ Batchwood Centre rebuilding project
TWO design teams have been appointed as the district council aims to rebuild the fire-destroyed Batchwood golf and tennis centre as soon as possible.
Cambridge-based Saunders Boston will be responsible for project managing the pre-contract and construction phases for the new bowls and golf clubhouses which is set to be completed by Autumn 2012.
And Drivers Jonas Deloitte, which is already overseeing the design of the Westminster Lodge leisure centre development and the planned sports facilities at Cotlandswick, have been contracted to handle the pre-contract and construction phases of the new tennis centre which is planned to open in autumn 2013.
The tennis centre and the bowls clubhouse were destroyed by a fire in August last year which is thought to have been arson although no-one has been charged.
The council’s insurers have indicated that they will fund a ‘like-for-like’ replacement of the buildings but the council is looking at an enhanced facility mix for the tennis centre and is holding discussions with the Lawn Tennis Association about the possibility of additional funding for improved tennis facilities.
You may also want to watch:
They could include additional indoor tennis courts, a cr�che, dance studio, larger fitness suite with a player strength and conditioning area and treatment rooms, and a sports science area.
- 1 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 2 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 6 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 7 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier