Contractors appointed for St Albans’ Batchwood Centre rebuilding project
TWO design teams have been appointed as the district council aims to rebuild the fire-destroyed Batchwood golf and tennis centre as soon as possible.
Cambridge-based Saunders Boston will be responsible for project managing the pre-contract and construction phases for the new bowls and golf clubhouses which is set to be completed by Autumn 2012.
And Drivers Jonas Deloitte, which is already overseeing the design of the Westminster Lodge leisure centre development and the planned sports facilities at Cotlandswick, have been contracted to handle the pre-contract and construction phases of the new tennis centre which is planned to open in autumn 2013.
The tennis centre and the bowls clubhouse were destroyed by a fire in August last year which is thought to have been arson although no-one has been charged.
The council’s insurers have indicated that they will fund a ‘like-for-like’ replacement of the buildings but the council is looking at an enhanced facility mix for the tennis centre and is holding discussions with the Lawn Tennis Association about the possibility of additional funding for improved tennis facilities.
You may also want to watch:
They could include additional indoor tennis courts, a cr�che, dance studio, larger fitness suite with a player strength and conditioning area and treatment rooms, and a sports science area.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 10 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?