Contractors appointed for St Albans’ Batchwood Centre rebuilding project
TWO design teams have been appointed as the district council aims to rebuild the fire-destroyed Batchwood golf and tennis centre as soon as possible.
Cambridge-based Saunders Boston will be responsible for project managing the pre-contract and construction phases for the new bowls and golf clubhouses which is set to be completed by Autumn 2012.
And Drivers Jonas Deloitte, which is already overseeing the design of the Westminster Lodge leisure centre development and the planned sports facilities at Cotlandswick, have been contracted to handle the pre-contract and construction phases of the new tennis centre which is planned to open in autumn 2013.
The tennis centre and the bowls clubhouse were destroyed by a fire in August last year which is thought to have been arson although no-one has been charged.
The council’s insurers have indicated that they will fund a ‘like-for-like’ replacement of the buildings but the council is looking at an enhanced facility mix for the tennis centre and is holding discussions with the Lawn Tennis Association about the possibility of additional funding for improved tennis facilities.
They could include additional indoor tennis courts, a cr�che, dance studio, larger fitness suite with a player strength and conditioning area and treatment rooms, and a sports science area.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 6 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 10 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road