Concerns over burnt-out caravan left on St Albans road for a fortnight
- Credit: Archant
A local councillor has criticised highway bosses for failing to remove the charred remnants of a burnt-out caravan, which have posed a hazard to motorists for the past fortnight.
Firefighters were called to extinguish a burning caravan in Colney Heath Lane after 10pm on Monday, April 11.
Two fire trucks were sent from St Albans Fire Station, and crews found the caravan “well alight” upon their arrival according to a spokesman. It was fully extinguished about half an hour later.
However, the blackened remains of the vehicle have been left there ever since, prompting complaints from residents.
St Albans district councillor for Colney Heath, Chris Brazier, said today (Monday): “It’s still there, and I have reported it to highways. It’s a traffic hazard, which has been left outside someone’s driveway, so it makes it difficult for them to get out.
“It’s an ugly feature, and at night you can’t see it because there is no lighting around it, and the street lights are turned off at night.”
Cllr Brazier added: “It’s not good enough; it’s got no proper hazard warnings or barriers around it. The caravan should have been removed straight away. Why is there a lack of action with it? It’s on a main road, and I’ve had loads of complaints from residents.”
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
- 8 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Who was the witch of St Albans?
The Herts Advertiser has been told that Herts county council’s highways contractor, Ringway, was expected to remove the caravan today.
A spokeswoman for Herts Police said that the force was told about the fire and had attended the scene alongside firefighters, to help manage road closures on April 11, but the blaze itself is not being investigated.
The vehicle was reported to Herts county council so that its removal could be arranged.
With the caravan located between Nicholas Breakspear Catholic School and a nearby travellers site, along a thoroughfare to the longabout on the A414, motorists have been taking to social media to air concerns about it posing a hazard to passing vehicles, as it has been blocking part of the road, near a bend.