Company of Ten stalwart dies
COMPANY of Ten stalwart and former history teacher Grace Hiscocks has died aged 83. Grace and her late husband Tony were involved with the St Albans drama group for many years – he treading the boards and she taking a more backstage role. She was also a t
COMPANY of Ten stalwart and former history teacher Grace Hiscocks has died aged 83.
Grace and her late husband Tony were involved with the St Albans drama group for many years - he treading the boards and she taking a more backstage role.
She was also a teacher of history, first at Birklands, a private school in London Road, St Albans, and later at Roundwood Park in Harpenden.
Grace, who died in Hemel Hempstead Hospital on New Year's Day, was born in Glasgow. Her mother was from the Shetland Isles and her father was buried on the Isle of Arran.
You may also want to watch:
She met her husband in Southport and they moved to Dickens Close, St Albans, in 1955 when Tony was working for Hawker Siddeley. They soon became involved with the Company of Ten and their only son Mike recalled: "My earliest recollections of their involvement with the Company of Ten was when it was in a converted hall down by the River Ver and I was about five or six."
Grace, who was also an active member of the Caledonian Society, was widowed in February 2005 but kept herself busy until her health started to fail and she spent a few days in Vesta Lodge, St Albans, before her death.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 5 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Mike, a freelance lighting cameraman who met his wife through the Company of Ten, said: "She was a great mum."
Grace's funeral is being held at 12 noon tomorrow (Friday) at Garston Crematorium.