Community rallies round Smallford spinal fracture mother
- Credit: Archant
TWO weeks after a young mother fractured her spine in an accident abroad, a charity fundraiser is being held this weekend to celebrate her return to the country.
Charlotte Harvey, of Smallford, was on a bike ride with her parents in France when the brakes failed and she crashed into a tree stump with her two-year-old son in a seat behind her.
While the young boy only received a cut elbow, the 23-year-old suffered a spinal fracture and was told she would have to rest in bed for 45 days until it was safe for her to travel home.
Fortunately the mum-of-one was able to return to England earlier than expected on August 19 and is now back at home with her son.
Her friend Tina Crassweller said her heart “jumped” when she first heard about the accident: “It’s been really, really emotional for everyone, she’s been so strong. She’s just so lucky to be here really.”
You may also want to watch:
She and her husband Wayne are holding the fundraising day on Saturday at the Victoria Pub in the city centre to garner funds for Charlotte and her son, as she had to postpone a job she was set to start this month to focus on recovering.
Tina said: “Charlotte is a member of the Vineyard Church, and she’s always doing charity things and giving up her time for other people.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 5 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 10 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
“I’m not religious but she’s helped so many people out I just thought I would try and raise some funds.
“It’s going to be tough for her and Oscar.”
The event is open to anyone who would like to go along from 1pm and will feature a live band, a DJ, a raffle and a darts competition.