Colney Heath man develops quirky fundraising idea for granddaughter
- Credit: Archant
A granddad has devised a quirky fundraising idea to raise money for the charity supporting his granddaughter.
Four-year-old Emily Kitson was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome last year, and her granddad, Peter Andrews, 62, of Colney Heath Lane, has created a quiz to raise money for Rett UK.
Rett Syndrome is a rare lifelong neurological disorder that mainly affects girls. Emily has lost the ability to talk, will likely lose the ability to walk and will have trouble swallowing, breathing and be prone to epileptic seizures as she grows up.
Following the diagnosis Peter decided to create a quiz that people could download in return for a donation to Rett UK, the only UK charity which provides professional support to people living with Rett Syndrome.
He said: “My days of even dreaming of doing a marathon, jumping out of a plane or doing any of that muddy stuff are long gone, so when I decided I wanted to raise funds for Rett UK, I thought I’d better concentrate on using the little grey cells instead.”
The quiz is based around acronyms. Peter continued: “I had great fun trying to think up all the brainteasers, but I stole a few too! I might have been chatting to someone who inadvertently said something I could use, and I’d have to grab my notebook unobtrusively and make a note of it.”
Peter has donated £100 to be used as a prize for the highest scoring entry and hopes to raise £2,000.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 4 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
He added: “Emily is a darling little girl whose parents are devoted to her, as are her two older sisters, but she is going to need 24/7 care for the rest of her life, and the support they all get from Rett UK is invaluable.
“Little Emily will never be able to do a quiz like this, so please have a go at this quiz for her.”
The closing date for the £100 prize is March 31. If you would like to donate and download the quiz, please click here.