Cold case murder probe into St Albans tower block death
- Credit: Archant
A FRESH appeal for information has been launched by police a decade after a 29-year-old man plunged to his death from the city’s only tower block.
Shumin Hussain, 29, died after falling from the window of a block of flats in Telford Court, Alma Road, St Albans on September 7, 2003.
Prior to his death, there had been a disturbance at the address involving a number of people. But although arrests followed Shumin’s death, no-one was ever charged.
Police would still like to talk to Jamaican-born Tiffany Pitt, now 30, who was believed to have been in the ninth floor flat at the time. Extensive inquiries at the time failed to find her.
Mick Flavin, who works for the Cold Case Team as part of the Joint Major Crime Unit, said: “At the time a large scale murder investigation was launched. A number of arrests were made but no prosecutions have been brought.
You may also want to watch:
“The case will never be closed and we remain in contact with Shumin’s family as, understandably, they are keen to find out the full circumstances surrounding his death.”
He went on: “I would encourage anyone who knows anything which would assist with our inquiries to contact the Herts Police non-emergency number 101 quoting Operation Regale. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
In a statement, Shumin’s family said: “We are appealing for any information that can help in relation to Shumin’s death. It has now been 10 years since he died and we are keen to get justice and closure. We miss him ever so much and know that someone must be able to help us regarding what happened to him.
“We as a family plead to you to come forward and help if you have any information at all. If you know anything please call the police or Crimestoppers.”