Coin collector “delighted” by how much her collection went for after St Albans valuation day
- Credit: Archant
A coin collector was “delighted” by how much her collection went for at auction after she had it valued in St Albans.
Auctioneer Jonathan Humbert was holding a valuation event in the city when an elderly lady and her son approached him.
He said: “They showed me an old red leather case containing a ‘Specimen Set’ of Edward VII coins including some gold coins.
“They told me someone had offered them £2,000 for them, but I thought we could do better than that at auction.”
The gold and silver coin set went on to sell for £5,000 at Humbert & Ellis’s auction.
“She was delighted with the result and it just shows how international bidding can drive up the price on in auction”, said Mr Humbert.
The next valuation day is Tuesday November, 7 at 10am-1pm at St Michael’s Manor Hotel in Harpenden, then 1.30-3pm at the layby by Harpenden Arms, and 3-4pm Dunstable Rd, next to the fire station.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 8 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close