Cloudiest for 40 years, rained on 25 days: yes August was as bad as it seemed
THE awful August everyone has been complaining about really was as bad as people thought, according to Rothamsted. Weather statistics compiled by the Harpenden research station show that August was a very cloudy and wet month – with rain on all but six da
THE awful August everyone has been complaining about really was as bad as people thought, according to Rothamsted.
Weather statistics compiled by the Harpenden research station show that August was a very cloudy and wet month - with rain on all but six days.
It was mild throughout, neither hot nor cold, with maximum and minimum temperatures logged as below and above average respectively.
Rainfall was twice the average for the month with 107.8mm compared with 53.7mm and the eleventh wettest August since records began in 1890.
On 25 days there was more than 0.2mm or more of rain, six of which had more than 5mm. The final day of the month, Sunday, August 31, had 34mm of rain - nearly one-and-a-half inches.
Sunshine at 121.2 hours was 75.6 hours below average making it the fifth cloudiest since records began at Rothamsted and the cloudiest since 1968. There were three days when the sun didn't shine at all and the sunniest days were August 4 and 15 with 8.6 hours each.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 6 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
Total hours of sunshine were well below those recorded in February this year and the rainfall levels were on par with January and March.
The highest temperature was on Saturday, August 30, at 24.4 degrees which was 2.3 degrees below average and the lowest night temperature was 8.4 degrees on Friday, August 15, which was 2.2 degrees above average.