Clothes swapshop in St Albans raises money for the Philippines
- Credit: Archant
Clothes were traded for crucial aid recently at a charity swapshop to raise money for the Philippines.
The event, held at Old Albanians Rugby Club, garnered £7,500 in funds towards combating the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan.
Hundreds of designer dresses, high heels and handbags were sourced in less than 10 days to be sold at the evening which was compèred by local Sky News correspondent Rachel Younger.
A raffle held by Andrew Binstock, star of the BBC programme Buy It, Sell It, Bank It, also kept the money rolling in and auction lots included JLS tickets, tennis at the Royal Albert Hall and original Gallery Rouge artwork.
Organiser Ruth Elgey said: “We are thrilled the evening was such a success but we couldn’t have done it without the enormous support of our fantastic local community.”
You may also want to watch:
Fellow organiser Sophie Sheridan said: “The devastation in the Philippines broke all our hearts and a few of us decided we had to do something quickly. It’s incredible how many people just wanted to help.”
• Louise Calder, a parent governor at Bowmansgreen Primary School in London Colney, has arranged for items to be shipped free of charge to the Philippines, for distribution by the Red Cross. The school is still seeking fishing equipment, gardening tools, tents and tarpaulins, by Wednesday December 4.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant