Claim that Radlett drivers get more speeding tickets
A SURVEY published by the News of the World suggested that drivers in Radlett were seven times more likely to get caught speeding than those in other areas of the UK. The Sunday newspaper based their claim on a survey by insurance brokers Admiral, who dis
A SURVEY published by the News of the World suggested that drivers in Radlett were seven times more likely to get caught speeding than those in other areas of the UK.
The Sunday newspaper based their claim on a survey by insurance brokers Admiral, who discovered that 114 out of their 422 customers in Radlett have at least one speeding conviction. This equates to 27 per cent - the highest rate of conviction for any postcode in the UK and more than twice as high as the average conviction rate of 13 per cent. The lowest rate, just four per cent, was in an area of Glasgow.
The News of the World went on to write: "motoring groups insist the figures do not reflect who are the worst and best drivers in Britain, and have more to do with how many cameras there are in the area."
However, although Herts is above average when it comes to the number of speed cameras, it only ranks 12th in a list of 50 police forces with the Met and Thames Valley Police ranked first and second respectively. There are 190 speed cameras throughout Herts, although Radlett itself only has four cameras according to Herts County Council's website.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Admiral suggested the figures could be explained by people in Radlett commuting more than the average and so were more likely to come across cameras around the county and in neighbouring police force areas - although he acknowledged that this was only a theory.
The survey was based on 1,600 postcode areas throughout the UK, each with 250 or more policyholders.
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans