Chimney fire at city-centre bar
PEOPLE had to be evacuated from a St Albans city-centre bar and restaurant on Sunday morning because of a chimney fire. Firefighters were called to the Waterend Barn, which is a Lloyds Bar, in Civic Close at around 10am. The crew used a thermal imaging ca
PEOPLE had to be evacuated from a St Albans city-centre bar and restaurant on Sunday morning because of a chimney fire.
Firefighters were called to the Waterend Barn, which is a Lloyds Bar, in Civic Close at around 10am.
The crew used a thermal imaging camera and specialist chimney equipment to tackle the fire and it was out within an hour.
A spokesperson for the Waterend Barn said the smoke going up through the chimney from the open fireplace had began to travel back down into the bar and customers and staff were evacuated immediately.
They were allowed to return to the bar, which is owned by the JD Wetherspoon chain, about an hour later.
There was no damage resulting from the incident and nobody was injured.
- 1 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 8 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
An onlooker, who was shopping at the nearby Farmers Market at the time of the fire, said he began to notice a strong smell of wood and saw a thick plume of smoke billowing into the air from the building.
He said the market was soon engulfed in a cloud of smoke.