Chimney fire at city-centre bar
PEOPLE had to be evacuated from a St Albans city-centre bar and restaurant on Sunday morning because of a chimney fire. Firefighters were called to the Waterend Barn, which is a Lloyds Bar, in Civic Close at around 10am. The crew used a thermal imaging ca
PEOPLE had to be evacuated from a St Albans city-centre bar and restaurant on Sunday morning because of a chimney fire.
Firefighters were called to the Waterend Barn, which is a Lloyds Bar, in Civic Close at around 10am.
The crew used a thermal imaging camera and specialist chimney equipment to tackle the fire and it was out within an hour.
A spokesperson for the Waterend Barn said the smoke going up through the chimney from the open fireplace had began to travel back down into the bar and customers and staff were evacuated immediately.
You may also want to watch:
They were allowed to return to the bar, which is owned by the JD Wetherspoon chain, about an hour later.
There was no damage resulting from the incident and nobody was injured.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
An onlooker, who was shopping at the nearby Farmers Market at the time of the fire, said he began to notice a strong smell of wood and saw a thick plume of smoke billowing into the air from the building.
He said the market was soon engulfed in a cloud of smoke.